The Beast's Heart

Sunday 6 May 2018


Title: The Beast's Heart
Author: Leife Shallcross
Published: 3rd May 2018
My Rating: 5/5
Recommend: Hell yes!
Synopsis:

A sumptuously magical, brand new take on a tale as old as time—read the Beast's side of the story at long last.

I am neither monster nor man—yet I am both.

I am the Beast.

The day I was cursed to this wretched existence was the day I was saved—although it did not feel so at the time.

My redemption sprung from contemptible roots; I am not proud of what I did the day her father happened upon my crumbling, isolated chateau. But if loneliness breeds desperation then I was desperate indeed, and I did what I felt I must. My shameful behaviour was unjustly rewarded.

My Isabeau. She opened my eyes, my mind and my heart; she taught me how to be human again.

And now I might lose her forever.

Lose yourself in this gorgeously rich and magical retelling of The Beauty and the Beast that finally lays bare the beast's heart.




Received a copy in exchange for a fair review thank you to Hodder & Stoughton

O.M.G! Where do I begin with this book? I read this book instantly in one sitting and I fell in love with everything about it. I loved Beast and Isabeau (although in my head I kept referring to her as Isabelle but shhh...don't tell anyone).

How do I convey my love for this book? I am so incoherent right now, secretly whilst typing this review out I am dreaming of the lines Beasts says to Isabeau. How can someone so gentle be so frightening? It just goes to show you should never judge a book by its cover. 

Honestly speaking the book was only challenging because of having a newborn makes reading harder and I had a bit of trouble getting in to the book. From the synopsis I was hoping the book would be different to the versions we have seen on TV but there isn't much to assume based on what we are told so this made it interesting to see how the author would work this out. And it was the best decision in my life. I loved everything about the book; the plot, the sisters, Isabeau, Renè, Vicomte and most of all the Beast. Be still my sweet Beast. I loved the version of this tale so much I am so glad it had so much likeness with the original story but had few surprises up its sleeve as well.

The more I praise the writing style would be less. I really have something for the way royalty speak and how back in the day the men and women would converse with one another. I can imagine myself being in that era and speaking exactly the same even though I don't know anything about it. This may be the author's debut but she has already won my heart. I can't wait to see more of her work in the future.

My favourite characters would have to obviously the main protagonists; Isabeau and Beast. I love how they are both conflicted about one another although Beast makes his feelings very clear early on in the book. Their epic tale revolves around honesty, although Isabeau is very torn between making her new friend happy and wanting to be with her family again, she is often sad when she sees how much pain her answer has caused Beast. Ahhh..love!!! I really wish though I didn't compare Isabeau to Emma Watson in the movie because they are nothing alike that kind of ruined it for me!


P.S. Can I please get part 2 now?


Like what you read? Hit the like button and don't forget to share this! ^_^
Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | G+ | Pinterest

1 comment

  1. This sounds like a really wonderful re-telling of the Beauty and the Beast story. It's funny that you kept comparing Isabeau to Emma Watson. I do that too, which is why I often avoid movie adaptations :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome © . Theme by STS.